Monday, September 7, 2009

Welcome and Yes, It's a Play on Words

This blog was named at the confluence of two otherwise disparate rivers of thought.

There's a theory that black Americans of a certain age and upbringing are inherently, magically familiar with all the old spirituals. For example, "Joshua Fit de Battle..." This familiarity is obviously a stereotype. As a young child I knew the song but had no idea what "fit" could mean, in context. I figured it out later but couldn't admit my youthful ignorance. Recently, I was looking at some old sheet music and I recalled this. The lyrics spreading across the page struck me a certain way. You might say a magical way. Joshua fit, Joshua fit...

There's another theory with far less serious implications, best described by American humorist Dave Barry, that suspense and spy novels are easily titled: The [proper name] [legal document]. For example, The Quiller Memorandum, The Pelican Brief, etc. That's a stereotype as well. For every one of those you can name, there's another (The Spy Who Came In from the Cold) that doesn't... fit.

All right, then. The Joshua Fit is the place for those observations that need to be made, but are not quite on topic (not a good fit) for the places I usually post. And if I ever get too upset, I might, yes, throw a Joshua fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment